Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thing #23: Summarize Your Thoughts about This Program

1. My favorite discoveries/exercises:
*Just to mention a few of my favorites I must include Flickr, the online image generator, and Big Huge Labs. These are all fun sites that one can easily sit down and create something in a short amount of time. I know not everything can be completed so quickly in life, but it seems that in our professional lives, we are often more apt to include those new applications that can be mastered relatively quickly.
2. How has the program assisted or affected my lifelong learning?
*One of the best lessons or reminders while working through this program was the constant reminder that we must remain lifelong learners. Several times I thought I was on the right track and then had to make myself stop, back up, and regroup to accomplish my tasks. I have had the opportunity to work on computers for the better part of my educational career, but I do not consider myself an adventurous computer user. I pretty much keep myself in safe territory and don't go out on too many technology limbs. Working through this program forced me out of my comfort zone and proved that it's good to try something new-- and valuable because you learn along the way too!
3. Take-aways or unexpected outcomes from the program?
*Flickr will definitely be a site that I will use more frequently when I need pics. I like the aspect of using actual photographs as opposed to 'clip art' for presentations for my students. I often make vocabulary powerpoints and like to not only display the word, its meaning, but also an image. I think the kids enjoy real photos more than clip art. Sometimes the clip art generates a chuckle, but I think the actual photos are more meaningful.
4. Improvements to the program's format or concept?
*I can't think of any improvements to the program that would be necessary.
I can think of ways that I could have improved my approach, staying on track and completing a few Things per week, as opposed to craming one-third of the program into the final week, but that's just me!
5. If another discovery program was offered, would you choose to participate?
*Absolutely! How likely is this to happen?
Additionally, will we still have access to the Library2Play site as needed? I can imagine that there will be times that I will need to look back at particular 'things' for a refresher.
6. One word description of the learning experience:
*perseverance
7. I will now go forth and visit other blogs.

2 comments:

  1. Auntie Karin,
    I can totally relate to everything you said in this post. I, too, feel like these 23 Things forced me out of my comfort zone...and when I stop to think about my favorite discoveries/exercises, I am definitely leaning towards those apps that were easiest to master. Flickr was one of my favorites because its so easily accessible and convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Library2Play will always be available so you can return and review.

    ReplyDelete