Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thing #16: Wikis

Prior to this semester, I knew Wikis existed, but I didn't know how easy they were to use, update, view, etc... I now have a better understanding of Wikis and can appreciate their value.
As a second grade teacher currently teaching in a low socio-economic area, I'm not sure how much participation I would have if I tried a Wiki with my students, but I can definitely see how it could apply if we used it during our computer lab block.
I have never initiated my own blog, but I am giving serious thought to trying one out in the coming months. I am thinking about setting it up as a book discussion arena for our class. I am thinking it would be a good motivator for those students who are sometimes reluctant readers. Taking the time to see what others (peers) enjoy reading may help spark an interest in reading.
Taking this one step further, I can imagine using a Wiki in the same manner as an elementary school teacher-librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment