Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thing #19: Web 2.0 Awards List

OK, so my choice is not one that would be the first to apply to a library theme. I chose Urbanspoon.
http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/8/Houston-restaurants.html
This site is a cool way to search for a restaurant in your area or another area you choose. The restaurants may be grouped by top neighborhoods or top types of foods.
After a quick search I found my favorite Rice Village Thai restaurant and was happy to see that others agree. My family has frequented this restaurants for decades. It's delicious and very reasonably priced.
I could see a teacher and/or librarian tying this site in with a food study or possibly a social studies lesson about multiculturalism. It would be neat to poll the students for as many different types of foods as they could think of, have the students ask their parents, and then compare your results with that of the restaurants in your local neighborhood. How does each type of food compare with representation in actual polling and eateries in the area?
Additionally, after a tough day on the job, you could do a quick search for take out for dinner! Ha ha-- I think about food WAY TOO MUCH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment