Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thing #20, part 2: YouTube, TeacherTube and Zamzar

Beginning Monday I will be teaching my second graders how to subtract two digit numbers with regrouping. We taught 2-digit addition before the Thanksgiving holidays. Addition went surprisingly well, but most of us are pretty nervous about the subtraction piece. This is always a difficult concept for our students. I think this TeacherTube video will help. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing my students' reactions!



While we all realize showing a video must have merit, not simply a time-filler, the access to videos is very rewarding. I have found this to be very true time and time again in Science and Social Studies lessons while integrating Discovery Education (old timers-- United Streaming)video clips. I used to use the videos as an introduction, but now I use them more for reviews or extra support. I have found that the kids seem to enjoy them more when we can "review" the concepts. They enjoy feeling proud of their knowledge and seeing the information as a review as opposed to being exposed to new information. I have found this use to be more effective.

Disclaimer: I couldn't figure out how to post two videos in the same entry. It is after 1am and I'm tired, so I opted to create two posts for Thing #20.

No comments:

Post a Comment